ANN ARBOR — A man who said he was bitten by a poisonous spider will get another chance to pin responsibility on a hotel.
James Heuschneider said he was forced to have multiple surgeries on his chest and left leg after an attack by a brown recluse spider.
A Washtenaw County judge dismissed the lawsuit in favor of Comfort Inn & Suites, saying the spider was a wild animal beyond the hotel's control.
But the Michigan appeals court said it was the wrong call. The court said the spider counts as vermin, and as a result, the hotel isn't off the hook under state law.
The appeals court said a key issue will be whether the hotel's pest control practices were sufficient.