A look inside the Kopper Top in Grand Rapids, which opened in 1972, before it closed. Photo via yelp.com
Although little is known about the sale at this point, a building that some west siders consider to be a landmark has been sold.
The Kopper Top
An unidentified buyer has purchased the Kopper Top, a once-popular restaurant and tavern in Grand Rapids, at 638 Stocking Ave. NW.
The Kopper Top, known for its large portions and more than 600 copper items that made up much of its décor, closed at the end of May after serving customers for 42 years.
March Bohland and Dan Brown bought the business in 2006, but they decided to close it following a Memorial Day sendoff.
Operating expenses had risen, and the city’s restaurant’s scene grew, which gave diners more options and the owners more competition.
Prior to becoming the Kopper Top in 1972, the structure was home to a grocery store and then a bank.
Mercantile Bank sold the two-story building, which was built in 1898.
The bank took possession of the building when Bohland and Brown couldn’t refinance its mortgage.
The purchase price is also unknown. But according to Kent County property records, the 2013 State Equalized Value of the structure is $73,000.
Mark Ansara and David Rapp of Colliers International West Michigan represented the bank in the transaction, and reportedly, the buyer represented himself.