The Blue Bridge in downtown Grand Rapids is a pedestrian walkway that extends across the Grand River. Courtesy Experience Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids is considered one of the “most charming” cities in its class.
Grand Rapids ranks No. 20 in a ranking of the “Top 20 Most Charming Small Cities” by RentLingo.com, an apartment search site.
Ann Arbor ranks No. 4.
The ranking includes cities with between 75,000 and 200,000 residents.
“Downtown Grand Rapids ranked highly, according to the Charm Index, due to a concentration of appealing local amenities, such as art displays, theaters, locally owned boutiques and the presence of parks, a university and a library,” the ranking says.
Also included in the ratings are store prices, store ratings, store ownership and lifestyle amenities, such as nearby gyms, bike tracks and parks.
Cultural and educational amenities, such as universities and museums, also help boost charm scores.
Grand Rapids earned a Charm Index score of 70.
The city’s Charm Index score was highest in the central downtown area.
1. Alameda, California
2. Downtown San Mateo, California
3. Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts
4. Ann Arbor
5. Orange, California
6. Downtown Berkeley, California
7. Old Town Alexandria, Virginia
8. Burbank, California
9. Oceanside, California
10. Old Town Pasadena, California
11. Carlsbad, California
12. Downcity, Providence, Rhode Island
13. Downtown Evanston, Illinois
14. North Historic District, Savannah, Georgia
15. French Quarter, Charleston, South Carolina
16. Tempe, Arizona
17. Downtown Vernon Street, Roseville, California
18. Downtown Knoxville, Tennessee
19. Downtown Tallahassee, Florida
20. Grand Rapids