East Grand Rapids refers to Gaslight Village as the “heart” of the city. Photo via fb.com
Business Insider has been publishing reports from the federal government’s American Community Survey and recently ranked a Grand Rapids suburb as the “most-educated town” in Michigan.
The annual survey is run by the U.S. Census Bureau to help the agency better understand the nation’s population, including the most affluent.
The Census Bureau data indicates that East Grand Rapids is the most-educated city in the state, based on the highest percentage of adults over 25 who hold at least a bachelor’s degree. East Grand Rapids ranks 27th in the nation at 77.5 percent.
Business Insider broke down the data in a post last week, saying that most of the educated towns are suburbs of big cities.
East Grand Rapids is the lone Michigan town in the top 50 nationally.
10 “most-educated towns” in U.S.
1. Chevy Chase, Md.: 92.7 percent
2. Ladera, Calif.: 89.3 percent
3. Winnetka, Ill.: 88.4 percent
4. Mission Hills, Kan.: 88.1 percent
5. Short Hills, N.J.: 87.1 percent
6. Belle Meade, Tenn.: 86.4 percent
7. Lost Creek, Texas: 86.3 percent
8. Scarsdale, N.Y.: 84.9 percent
9. Castleton, Vt.: 84.2 percent
10. Shorewood HIlls, Wis.: 83.6 percent
Source: Business Insider, 2014