A local grocery store has completed its $2.7-million remodeling project.
Forest Hills Foods, located at 4668 Cascade Rd. SE in Grand Rapids, hosted a “grand re-opening” yesterday.
The store underwent an extensive interior remodeling project that began in December 2016. It remained open to shoppers during the project.
Byron Center-based SpartanNash, which owns Forest Hills Foods, contracted Bouma Construction for the project.
The company believes the new store layout will showcase the its commitment to local flavor, fresh and organic meats, produce, bakery and deli options.
“From the moment store guests walk in the door, we’ve created a local market feel, with global flavors, fresh and organic items and gourmet and specialty food options available in every aisle of the store,” said Ted Adornato, EVP of retail operations, SpartanNash. “And we are confident these upgrades will surprise and delight the foodie in everyone.”
Highlights of the store’s transformation include:
- An expanded produce department
- Cold-pressed juice, infused water and fresh-squeezed orange juice made in-store daily
- Kombucha growler bar with four flavors on tap
- Expanded meat department, with a selection of organic and grass-fed options
- Expanded selection of gluten-free baked goods
- Expanded deli selections, including a salad bar and a selection of grab-and-go meal kits
- Organic, fair trade and locally source coffee
- Betty Kaye’s Smokehouse, with freshly smoked meats, rubs, sauces and take-home meals.
The store also features corporate responsibility and sustainability messages, highlighting Forest Hills Foods support of the local community. Store guests can also learn about the Forest Hills Foods’ energy-efficiency improvements and savings and recycling options from signage throughout the store.
Forest Hills Foods plans to reduce its annual energy consumption by 1.4 billion British thermal units, or BTUs, which is equivalent to the amount of greenhouse gas emitted by 38 homes’ annual electricity usage.
SpartanNash is a Fortune 400 grocery distributor and retailer, which serves independent grocers, national accounts, U.S. military commissaries and its corporate-owned stores.
The company serves customer locations across the U.S. and in Europe, Cuba, Bahrain and Egypt.
It operates 150 supermarkets.