Health Alliance Plan announced Medicare beneficiaries can take advantage of enhanced benefits during a special enrollment period that runs through June 30.
Because the COVID-19 pandemic impacted enrollees’ ability to switch plans during the Medicare Open Enrollment Period earlier this year, they are now granted a special enrollment period by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to select a new health plan.
“This is a good time for Medicare members to shop for a plan,” said Margaret Anderson, chief sales and marketing officer for HAP. “HAP has significantly expanded its offerings to make access to care easy and affordable while providing the benefits that our members want — and now need as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Benefits like our over-the-counter allowance and free home delivery of prescriptions make it possible for members to get the supplies they need without leaving home.”
HAP’s Medicare Advantage plans include the following:
- $0 premiums: HAP has HMO and PPO plans available, many with $0 premiums. Members have access to dental, vision, hearing and prescription benefits, as well as identity theft protection, which is critical as scammers are increasingly using the pandemic to take advantage of seniors.
- Cost-sharing waived: HAP is waiving all member cost-sharing for in-person primary care visits and in-person behavioral health visits through the end of the year. HAP also is waiving all member cost-sharing for telehealth visits through the end of the year. Medicare members will not be charged any copays, co-insurance or deductibles on visits made from May 1 through Dec. 31, even if the visit is unrelated to COVID-19.
- Free home delivery of medications: HAP is offering free in-home delivery of medications, whether in-state or out-of-state, through Pharmacy Advantage. There are no standard shipping costs on medications.
- Over-the-counter allowance: HAP Medicare Advantage plans offer an over-the-counter allowance of up to $100 per quarter that can be used on items needed to maintain health and wellness such as facemasks, gloves, bandages, aspirin, blood pressure monitors, etc. These are ordered through a catalog and are delivered directly to a member’s home, making it a convenient way to obtain health essentials during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Deductible carryover: HAP’s deductible accumulator allows the amount already paid by a member toward their deductible this calendar year to carry over to their new HAP plan, so they don’t have to start over. This is true even for new members who are coming to HAP from another insurer. This could result in substantial cost savings for those who have already paid a significant amount toward their deductible this year.
- Care management: HAP’s care management team specializes in helping Medicare members manage their chronic conditions, including diabetes, congestive heart failure, hypertension and COPD, in partnership with the member’s physician. This includes programs for making sure members take the proper prescriptions at the right time and real-time monitoring of blood glucose readings for members with diabetes.
Health Alliance Plan is a Michigan-based, nonprofit health plan that provides health coverage to individuals and companies of all sizes. The HAP product portfolio has six distinct product lines: Group Insured Commercial, Individual, Medicare, Medicaid (through HAP Empowered Health Plan), Self-Funded and Network Leasing.
HAP is an operating unit of the Henry Ford Health System, one of the nation’s leading health care systems.