Bell’s Brewery was founded in 1985 and is the brewer of several of Michigan’s top-rated beers. Photo via fb.com
West Michigan's beer scene stands out to homebrewers across the country.
Zymurgy magazine, a national publication for homebrewers, recently compiled a ranking of the 2018 “Best Beers in America,” and Bell’s Brewery’s Two-Hearted Ale ranks No. 1 out of beers from both craft brewers and major corporations.
A pint full of other West Michigan brews made the top ten list, including Bell’s Hopslam at No. 4. Founders’ Canadian Breakfast Stout is No. 5, its Kentucky Breakfast Stout is No. 6 and its Breakfast Stout is No. 9.
Bell’s Comstock location also ranks as the No. 1 brewery in the nation, with Founders Brewing coming in at No. 2.
Founder’s Brewing has the fourth "best portfolio,” with 24 beers, and Bell’s stands at No. 9, at 19 beers.
Top 10 beers
1. Bell’s Tow Hearted Ale
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder
3. The Alchemist Heady Topper
4. Bell’s Hopslam
5. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
6. Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)
7. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout
8. Three Floyds Zombie Dust
9. Founders Breakfast Stout
10. WeldWerks Juicy Bits
Top 10 breweries
1. Bell’s Brewery, Inc. (Comstock)
2. Founders Brewing Co. (Grand Rapids)
3. Russian River Brewing Co. (Santa Rosa, California)
4. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (Chico, California and Mills River, North Carolina)
5. Firestone Walker Brewing Company (Paso Robles, California)
6. Deschutes Brewery (Bend, Oregon)
7. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, Delaware)
8. Stone Brewing (Escondido, California)
9. The Alchemist (Stowe, Vermont)
10. Three Floyds Brewing Company (Munster, Indiana)
1. Stone Brewing (33 beers)
2. Firestone Walker Brewing Company (29 beers)
3. New Belgium Brewing (24 beers)
4. Founders Brewing Co. (24 beers)
5. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (23 beers)
6. Avery Brewing Co. (22 beers)
7. Hill Farmstead Brewery (22 beers)
8. Boulevard Brewing Company (20 beers)
9. Trillium Brewing Co. (20 beers)
10. Bell’s Brewery, Inc. (19 beers)