Goodwill Industries of Michigan reopened stores and donation centers Thursday with safety precautions in place following Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s June 1 Executive Order 2020-110 lifting the “Safer at Home” EO and authorizing certain retailers to reopen.
Ten independent, community-based Goodwill nonprofit organizations — listed below — have joined together in their reopening plans to ensure the health and safety of shoppers, donors and employees at Goodwill locations in all 82 Michigan counties.
“Each Goodwill organization wants you to know your safety, and the safety of our employees, is first and foremost on our minds,” said Kenneth Bauer, chair of Michigan Goodwills and president and CEO of Goodwill Industries of Central Michigan’s Heartland.
“Each organization has agreed to employ common-sense standards derived from the CDC guidelines to ensure best practices are used as we begin to reopen our operations.”
Every Goodwill store and donation center in Michigan will adopt the following measures, in line with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines:
- Employees will complete daily health check-ins when reporting to work.
- Employees will wear personal protective equipment (PPE).
- The number of customers allowed in stores at any given time will be limited based on state guidelines.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Protective shields will be in place.
- Signage and floor markings will be in place to encourage social distancing.
- Curbside drop-off only.
- All donations are quarantined.
In addition to their function as a retailer, Goodwill nonprofits offer other services, including helping individuals overcome barriers with workforce development programs, which includes training and career opportunities, as well as supporting people experiencing homelessness and food insecurity.
Sales of donated items at Goodwill retail stores provide the bulk of the funding for these programs, and merchandise for Goodwill stores comes entirely through community donations.
The following locations are included in Michigan Goodwills’ plan for reopening:
- Goodwill Industries of Central Michigan’s Heartland, Battle Creek, goodwillcmh.org
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit, Detroit, goodwilldetroit.org
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, goodwillgr.org
- Goodwill Industries of Mid-Michigan, Flint, goodwillmidmichigan.org
- Goodwill Industries of Northern Michigan, Traverse City goodwillnmi.org
- Goodwill Industries of Northern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, gwnwup.org
- Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Michigan, Adrian, goodwillsemi.org
- Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Michigan, Kalamazoo, exceptionalgoodwill.org
- Goodwill Industries of St. Clair County, Port Huron, goodwillscc.org
- Goodwill Industries of West Michigan, Muskegon, goodwillwm.org