Assistance is available for residents by dialing Heart of West Michigan United Way's 2-1-1. Photo via fb.com
Heart of West Michigan United Way’s 2012 campaign raised $12,275,000 for Kent County, exceeding campaign goals and seeing a 2-percent increase from 2011.
At the recent Campaign Celebration event, held at the West Michigan Center for Arts and Technology, 2012 Campaign Chair Mary Tuuk expressed her thanks to the more than 30,000 individuals and 956 companies that contributed.
“Heart of West Michigan United Way’s final campaign results were a great example of possibility thinking and teamwork in action,” said Tuuk in a written statement. “Through the outstanding collaboration and spirit of companies and their employees, community leaders, the United Way team, and community individuals, the 2012-2013 campaign exceeded its goal and furthered the rich heritage of giving in West Michigan. The tremendous energy of this campaign sets the stage for an exciting 2013-2014 campaign.”
According to the release, the 2012 United Way campaign’s business leaders include the following:
- Kellogg Co., honored with the Live United Award, recognizing its passion and dedication to giving, advocating and volunteering in Kent County.
- Mary Tuuk, honored for her committed leadership as this year’s campaign chair.
- Brian Parker, honored for his dedication as “campaign coordinator extraordinaire,” which made the Cascade Engineering campaign successful.
- AMDG Architects, honored for its success running a first-time campaign with United Way.
- Crystal Flash Energy, recognized as the greatest growth company in employee participation.
- Century A&E, for its work with Schools of Hope developing the Reading Corners program.
- City of Grand Rapids, for its partnership with the Volunteer Center of myGRcitypoints.com volunteering opportunities.
- Friends of Grand Rapids Parks, for its partnership launching a myGRcitypoints.com project with the Volunteer Center and the City of Grand Rapids.
- Steelcase, recognized for its success and commitment as a Kent County Tax Credit Coalition site.
- Erma Shaw, recognized for her commitment as a Kent County Tax Credit Coalition site coordinator at multiple sites.
This year’s Campaign Cabinet members, led by Tuuk, included Nick Adamy, Adamy Valuation Advisors; Deb Bailey, Steelcase; Mark Bissell, Bissell Inc.; Valeda Collins, Grand Rapids Public Museum; Dana Friis-Hansen, Grand Rapids Art Museum; Tracey Hornbeck, Fifth Third Bank; Nancy Kennedy, community volunteer; Kevin Splaine, Spectrum Health; Douglas Wagner, Warner Norcross & Judd LLP; Kate Pew Wolters, community volunteer; Nancy Ayres, Flexco; Rick Baker, Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce; Love Collins, Van Andel Institute; Kaitlyn Disselkoen, Grand Rapids Outdoor; Blake Krueger, Wolverine Worldwide; Robert Kaminski, Mercantile Bank; Richard Pappas, Davenport University; Greg Sundstrom, city of Grand Rapids; and Matthew Wakefield, Wolverine Worldwide.