GRAND RAPIDS — Members of the Convention and Arena Authority will be asked this week to maintain the current booking policy for DeVos Place and DeVos Performance Hall for the remainder of the fiscal year.
“In essence, there will be no changes immediately,” said SMG General Manager Rich MacKeigan.
MacKeigan and CAA Chairman Steven Heacock reviewed the policy over the summer and wanted to let it run for a full year of operation before making any changes.
The booking guidelines adopted by the board more than three years ago call for a review of the policy every three years, but the CAA only took possession of the entire convention center in February, following completion of the construction project.
MacKeigan told members of the CAA Operations Committee last week that the entire policy would get a thorough review next summer. He added that producers of public shows, the Grand Rapids/Kent County Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the hall’s four performing arts tenants were made aware of the recommendation to keep the policy as is.
The policy was created amid some controversy that arose between competing groups that were vying for key dates in the building and in the hall.
The CAA meets Wednesday and is scheduled to formally act on the proposal at that time.