The money will be used to provide funding for training, job search and relocation assistance for the approximately 1,075 workers who lost their jobs due to foreign competition, as determined by the U.S. Department of Labor, from Oct. 1 through Nov. 14.
The funding was awarded as part of the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and North American Free Trade Agreement-Trade Adjustment Assistance (NAFTA-TAA) programs, which MDCD administers for the Labor Department through MDCD’s Office of Workforce Development, Workforce Investment Act Section.
The MDCD is the state government agency charged with providing the skilled work force Michigan needs to enhance and maintain its economy.
The state’s career and training development agency is working with employers, K-12 schools, community colleges, and local work force development boards to develop a comprehensive career development system.
The TAA and NAFTA-TAA awards are as follows:
- Area Community Service Employment and Training Council — $301,199
- Michigan Works! Berrien-Cass-Van Buren — $87,450
- Calhoun Intermediate School District — $257,939
- Central Area Michigan Works! Consortium — $70,349
- Capital Area Michigan Works! — $66,510
- Career Alliance Inc. — $280,355
- City of Detroit Employment and Training Department — $504,000
- Michigan Works! The Job Force Board/Six County Employment Alliance — $224,400
- Kalamazoo-St. Joseph Michigan Works! — $93,825
- Livingston County Michigan Works! — $38,250
- Macomb-St. Clair Workforce Development Board Inc. — $390,390
- Muskegon/Oceana Consortium — $220,460
- Northeast Michigan Consortium — $381,184
- Northwest Michigan Council of Governments — $171,600
- Oakland County Michigan Works! Workforce Development Division — $226,410
- Ottawa County Michigan Works!/Community Action Agency — $91,279
- Michigan Works! Region 7B Employment and Training Consortium — $211,233
- Saginaw-Midland-Bay Michigan Works! — $76,770
- Southeast Michigan Community Alliance (SEMCA) Michigan Works! — $253,183
- South Central Michigan Works! — $804,062
- Thumb Area Michigan Works! Employment Training Consortium — $594,000
- Washtenaw County Workforce Development Board/Employment Training and Community Services Group — $15,986
Michigan Works! West Central — $118,800